"The Official Portrait of Miss InDiana"

"The Official Portrait of Miss InDiana"
aka "Miss Victory"

Friday, November 7, 2008

Panhandling Reform & Optimizing The Change We Can Believe In


"Some People Just Talk About Change, I Take It."


"I didn’t go with the total “bum” look. I just wore clothes, that for me were very dressed down. I had my change cup. It was one I got from Victory Field so I could help promote the city with my experiment. And the corner I chose to shake my cup and ask for change was Washington and Meridian. I chose it not only because it was a very busy intersection, but it was the volunteer headquarters for Barack Obama. "
Abdul Panhandles, April 13, 2008

CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN:
No More Inner-City Gas Station Shake Downs


If you live in Marion County and buy gas in Center Township, you have no doubt been the target of a shake down by a gas station panhandler. A lot of times you were told a long detailed account of the victim's family waiting in a broke down car nearby and they desperately need to get somewhere and have no resources for help. I guess that would include no help from Carl Drummond, our Center Township Trustee entrusted with giving out poor relief, which he does at the cost of $3 for every $1 given away.

Or you might be confronted by an unfortunate urbanite who tells you that money is needed for the bus even though there are legitimate ways for serious reform minded ex-felons looking to be responsible about their re-entry and prove their reform is real to society.

Whatever the reason, sometimes we used to help them out knowing full well that our money is probably going to a little drink or pleasure that some of us enjoy ourselves with the extra money we earn.

Well, now you don't have to feel guilty about not giving away a buck or two in today's trying economic times to a person down on his or her luck.

Not anymore. Cause Obama promised he'd do it for us!


Beginning January 2oth all you have to do is explain that while you would like to directly give over some spare cash, your money is already being collected by Obama's plan to ensure his or her basic human needs are satisfied. Tell them it's cool to go ahead and take it up with President Obama. Because there is no way Obama will stiff you.

And do not be too timid to remind the panhandler that our Center Township Trustee, Carl Drummond is efficient about poor relief distribution in his district and that Obama has Drummond's full support from Center Township.

No comments: