Muncie has a strong, independent property tax movement. Today the Muncie newpaper reported the views of several realtor and citizen groups. One of their readers left the anonymous comment that we are sharing with you on our blog. We wish we knew this person. Do you think he or she sounds like a "taxnut"? We think a logical argument was made. The only thing missing is FORCING our politicians to obey the RULE OF LAW. -- HFFT editor
It is clear that no Political Party now in existence wants to Eliminate Property Tax altogether. We The People on the other hand can Force it if we have the will to stage a Tax Revolt in such a way and duration as to Force Change.
1. If "all" property Taxes in all forms were eliminated, it would "free up" investment money to apply in other areas, home improvements, business improvements, wages, grounds improvements and general Maintenance on existing buildings and grounds that require up-keep after coming into existence.
2. If "all" property Taxes in all forms were eliminated, there would be NO Need for Assessors and much of code enforcement would also dwindle in need for enforcement officers. Not to mention support staff in thier offices.
3. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, there would be No need to have such complicated tax break methods. Save may be Energy Tax Credits for "Certain" Energy saving products that Government wanted to push use of and save National Energy dollars on.
4. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, there would a general reduction in shysters of all forms due to the leagle system having less need in the associated areas.
5. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, there would be NO MORE GUARENTEED income to the Government to spend then tax. They would be forced to respond to changes in economy and joblessness the same as the Populations they serve have to.
6. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, there would be more development of undeveloped lands. To protect agriculture and deter urban blight, State, County and City/townships may want to "Create" business enterprise zones along the "Best" most advantageous routs into and out of existing and planned urban populated areas and only lease to use them; after developing the infrastructure to support the "Main" use for commerce. Followed by a Support area, then residential/small business area and finally an agriculture only area, not to be developed in relation to green space and agriculture needs now and for the future.
7. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, we could truely compete on a global basis and not be hamstrung by higher cost of development then is necessary for our products to be of equal or better value then is produced in their own country.
8. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, we would NEVER EVER Again be subject to Tax Warrant Seizures in hard Medical, economic times of our lives, and except for Eminent Domain issues be secure in our Homes, Property, Papers, from search and seizure except for having engaged in a criminal activity.
9. If "all" property taxes in all forms were eliminated, we could indeed replace them with other forms NOT Impacting the aged and needy beyond reason, by instituting "Thresholds" that exempt BASIC life and living amounts, indexed to the Cost of Living and Poverty indexes already in use by other government agencies and able to be "simply" applied.
10. If "all" property Taxes in all forms were eliminated, We as a people could choose what level we are taxed at by our spending on other then basic essentials, or by participating in Luxury activities, and purchases of obvious non-essentials. Keep basic needs basic, eliminate all deductions except for National/State or Local initiatives to fund certain common advantages and tax the rest as a value added tax that is administrated at the lowest possible administrative level and at least 90 or more percent go into the fund to do whatever work/program needs be done. or funded.
We don't need a lot of complicated methods to tackle something as simple as taxing, what needs to be taxed to raise money and remove the present Jeopardy we now have in the form of Property Taxes.
Allowing a graduated or progressive tax starting at Poverty or near enough to it to pay for public assistance in some form is a starting point, graduate it every $10,000.00 by 1/4 of a percent and cap it at a maximum of 15% of gross income.
Keep Sales taxes no higher (match % by % with areas around us) Look to the things that are "discretionary" as opposed to needful, for further taxation.
We already pay fees, tax and more on many items that are become more needful in our present society then discretionary. So in essence the Poor that can afford to have the basic necessities are already paying some of their burden on society. Let's just not make it oppressively hard on fixed, elderly and working poor folks.
But by all means available; let us cut Government Bloat to the lean and if necessary be somewhat mean about it. Needed is just that. Not calling a desire a needs is very important in this process, and we can't allow ourselves to look at federal and state mandates as absolutes, but challenge them in superior court if necessary if we can't or won't afford them.
We need to look at the Mean Average without Government Wages, pensions, and Salaries included; and only look at the "Productive Wage Earning element of Society when figuring our Economic forecasts.