"The Official Portrait of Miss InDiana"

"The Official Portrait of Miss InDiana"
aka "Miss Victory"

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Who is Travis DiNicola of Art of The Matter?

I would like to retract something I wrote about Travis DiNicola of WFYI's Art of The Matter.

"You will also learn by reading our blog that two arts journalists (David Hoppe and Travis DiNicola) in Indianapolis accepted $2,750 in Renewal Fellowship Grants from the arts council. Why are journalists being paid off by our arts council?"
There is no evidence that these journalists are being "paid off" and I should not have phrased it as such. I hope you all will cut me some slack as I am not paid, am not a journalist, and am a volunteer doing my best to help my community.

I would also like to point how that it feels awful when people write things about you that are not true. I am very sensitive to this because, as you know, at times real journalists have been less than kind to me and more than once reported lies about me, my motivations, and my former career. Never once was a retraction offered to me.

It is a valid concern among taxpayers when journalists receive public grants from the arts council. It is easy as a journalist to ignore sticky questions involving the inappropriate use of power and money when a journalist accepts taxpayer money. Travis wrote to me and acknowledged that he is proud he received funding.

He also corrected me and explained he received more than the $2,750 I reported. He received $5,000 in one payment and another payment of $2,750 for completing the grant.

I also would like to thank Travis for his dedication to the arts and for being forthcoming with us and admitting organizations who don't need funding are getting our dollars. We will report more later from Travis.

--Melyssa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is all well and good, Melyssa. But no one yet has justified why they are paying journalists. And I don't care what you say, I think they are getting paid off.