"The Official Portrait of Miss InDiana"

"The Official Portrait of Miss InDiana"
aka "Miss Victory"

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The day the Marion County Libertarians & City Councilman Ed Coleman left me

Last night City Councilman Ed Coleman voted for the convoluted water transfer that ties our water to bonds in the millions (we're still not sure how much) for short term sidewalk updates to be paid for with 30 year notes.

Did Ed Coleman create a dialogue with the Libertarians before he took a vote? Not really. He discussed it behind closed doors with the Marion County leadership. I wrote to Ed last week and told him where I stood on the issue and that if he voted for this screwy deal, he would no longer have my support. To which he replied that he didn't appreciate the threatening tone coming from a "friend". I had to remind him he was my city councilor. Afterall, that's how we met in the first place.

Ed told me I would have to wait until the vote to know where he stood on the matter. So much for Libertarian transparency, accountability, etc. The whole thing about where Coleman stood on this vote was cloaked in secrecy for some reason. I found the secrecy disgusting as if the Marion County LP is now some kind of insiders club of the outcasts. What the LP is supposed to be is open and accountable. It's supposed to espouse small government, not more debt.

They know there are massive problems with this deal, yet their insider group decided to go for it anyway and had Coleman keep it a secret until last night.

Ed Coleman had a chance to create a dialogue before the vote with all of you here. I gave him keys to the blog more than a year ago. He promised to write about important matters in the council in effort to create an open dialogue with citizens. Did he do that for us? Nope! Did he keep his promise to me to communicate with the citizens? Nope!

In fact, Ed Coleman made just one entry. He promised the following to HFFT readers:

"I personally plan to post once or twice a week. I will be posting on the big issues that pertain specifically to Indianapolis. I plan to keep you all informed on the goings on in the city council and provide my own take on each issue. I hope to get great feedback as I will be using your opinions and advice to help in my decision making process to help make Indy the great city that it can be."
Ed Coleman proved on Monday he is just another politician full empty promises.

Most citizens who comment in the newspaper articles and on blogs across all party aisles seem to think the water deal is a shell game with the people coming out on the losing end. We were all over the blogs posting opinions. Yet, Ed with keys to talk directly to you, did nothing.

The insider political elites were the ones gunning for for this deal that will enrich God knows how many people at our expense. Even Melina Kennedy, poised to challenge Mayor Ballard in next year's election, was in silent support of it. But then, her employer is going to handle the paperwork. That's gotta be worth a few mil, huh Melina?

Here's an encouraging word I got today about my agonizing decision to sever ties with the LP and declare my Independence. It didn't come too soon.

"Consider yourself liberated from the narrow-minded political patters of the 20th Century! We are going to do what George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King and so many other patriots could only dream about: Develop an America where all of it's citizens are enabled and empowered to fulfill their ambitions for the greater good of the whole community, without being inhibited through cleaver lies and friendly imposters posing as advocates of justice. So, let the pain of your Libertarian betrayal become the catalyst of change in our attitudes and actions as we develop the beloved and ideal community, starting with the most vulnerable our republic; the poor!"

10 comments:

Blog Admin said...

Kennedy works for Baker and Daniels. Thomas John, local GOP chairman, is a partner at Ice Miller LLP (and as far as I know, is not involved in the water sale at all).

M Theory said...

Thanks ISTUD for the correction. It was very late last night when I wrote the post. I'll make the correction.

Mike Kole said...

This is most disappointing to learn, Melyssa.

I interviewed Ed about this issue for the Libertarian Party of Indiana's podcast, and at that time Ed was undecided but leaning towards the deal.

For my part, I saw this as a lose-lose proposition. Vote against it and the city remains in the water business, which I believe it should not be. Vote for it and you create a monopoly situation, which isn't much good either. But, if one had to vote, selling seemed like the best thing to me, so as to get the city out of the business. In a better world, a competing company would set up shop and deliver services shortly thereafter. I asked Ed about this, and thought it not feasible. I disagree, but that happens.

It makes me wonder- If this is a deal-breaking vote by Ed, can there be anybody you could support?

Again, for myself, I have never found another person on this earth whom I have agreed with on everything. Sooner or later, we're going to disagree. Does this vote positively overshadow everything else he's done and is doing? And the Marion County LP too?

Marycatherine Barton said...

Should Ed now be considered a libertarian Republican member of the Council, who intends to run for reelection as the same, on the Republican ticket, of course? Btw, Mylessa, I much appreciated the content and fervent style of the comments you left at the Masson Blog rant against the tea party caucus.

M Theory said...

Oh, I'll vote for Libertarians and I'll watch things closely. For instance I'm quite certain I'll vote for the Libertarian for secretary of state and senate.

I've given a lot of dollars to the party and to party candidates. I could easily finish the final renovation projects on my house with what I've given.

The deal breaker for me was that Ed promised to blog here (and had the blog keys) on issues of importance before the council.

HFFT received little to no dialogue from him on this matter which was the biggest citizen dollar transfer of money ever facing the council.

As one of his most fervent supporters, I feel cheated. I also resented the fact that he felt there was a friendship between us that precluded his accountability to his supporters.

He was not forthcoming in communicating how he planned to vote and did not want to bring me into the discussion, although I wrote a lengthy letter to the libertarian leadership about the morality of using water as collateral.

In short, I dont mind someone voting their conscience.

It's just that the conscience of this matter was not publicly debated by the L's and that was a serious misstep.

That told me I'm an Independent and I'm done giving donations and membership tithes to any political party.

M Theory said...

MC...That Doug Masson is a class act. I gotta hand it to him. He runs a first rate blog. He's smart and fair minded, although I dont believe he understands who sits up at the top of the pyramid.

The race issue is dividing our country. I believe most of America today is color blind, yet the left incessantly tries to focus on the ones that aren't as a political tactic. They are quite worried about those tea party folks, who have no agenda regarding race. In fact, without exception all I've met want ALL people lifted up toward self-realization.

I'm real proud of how many Americans are finally waking up. This whole planet is becoming awake and aware.

A 13 year old kid asked to mow my yard today. We talked a bit cause I offered to pay him in silver, and he understood what was going on and the value of real money. Sharp kid.

He wants paid for future yard work in silver! He explained his Auntie has a box of silver and she told him all about it.

Anonymous said...

C'mon, Melyssa. Think your position through and think about Mike Kole's words in his final paragraphs.
This was a very difficult decision for councillors to make. Do you think this vote didn't weigh on Ed and other thoughtful councillors? It seems very easy(especially for bloggers) to sit on the sidelines and fill their sites with jeers,sniping, negativity, and constant criticisms of those in office. Someone with whom you "fellowshipped" with as a political animal doesn't fall lockstep in line with what you believe to be right, so you publicly disown him.
You intimate that this is the straw that broke the camel's back as Ed also disappointed you by not contributing to your blog site as promised. That didn't seem to be a deal breaker until this vote came up. Now it serves as a convenient supplemental reason to dump a friend. What is a friend to you? What kind of friend are you? Do you possess enough compassion to consider that Ed may have a full plate-working, raising a family, fulfilling Council duties, etc.? He may have been well intentioned about blogging, but just couldn't make the time.

Is disappointment in Ed justified? Maybe. Is he deserving of becoming a non-person in your eyes? No. Try to put yourself in Ed's shoes. And that's shoes, not black boots. Authoritarian demands for other's conformity of thought and opinion isn't becoming to you. But never fear. I won't disown you. I'll just be disappointed in you.

Anonymous said...

C'mon, Melyssa. Think your position through and think about Mike Kole's words in his final paragraphs.
This was a very difficult decision for councillors to make. Do you think this vote didn't weigh on Ed and other thoughtful councillors? It seems very easy(especially for bloggers) to sit on the sidelines and fill their sites with jeers,sniping, negativity, and constant criticisms of those in office. Someone with whom you "fellowshipped" with as a political animal doesn't fall lockstep in line with what you believe to be right, so you publicly disown him.
You intimate that this is the straw that broke the camel's back as Ed also disappointed you by not contributing to your blog site as promised. That didn't seem to be a deal breaker until this vote came up. Now it serves as a convenient supplemental reason to dump a friend. What is a friend to you? What kind of friend are you? Do you possess enough compassion to consider that Ed may have a full plate-working, raising a family, fulfilling Council duties, etc.? He may have been well intentioned about blogging, but just couldn't make the time.

Is disappointment in Ed justified? Maybe. Is he deserving of becoming a non-person in your eyes? No. Try to put yourself in Ed's shoes. And that's shoes, not black boots. Authoritarian demands for other's conformity of thought and opinion isn't becoming to you. But never fear. I won't disown you. I'll just be disappointed in you.

M Theory said...

Anonymous -- First of all I question why you would not publish your name, as if you are ashamed of your opinion.

But what makes you think I didn't remind Ed to let our readers in on his thinking? What makes you think I did not try to start a dialogue via email in advance of this decision involving the largest dollar transfer before our council ever in history ?

Ed and I got along. I wouldn't exactly call us friends. Friends check in on each other. Friends do things together. Friends are there when the other has a problem. We weren't that to each other.

We knew each other in a political context only. Like I said before, enduring his tasteless sexist jokes that degrade women while cocktailing with political types is not exactly what I seek as a strong foundation of friendship.

Do you think I'm that shallow?

Ed would call on me when he wanted me to do something for him and I typically would do it for him...even at the expense of the cracks I would take from other pundits for my fervent support.

As a politician who consented to the role of public SERVANT, I expected him to play it. It's not like this is some kind of secret and no one knows I think this way.

Ed certainly is not a non-person. Heck, if there is not anyone better on the ticket, I'll vote for him. But my vote is no longer guaranteed.

I am done with my LP membership and done giving donations. I formally declare myself a political Independent.

And if Ed's personal plate is THAT full, perhaps he should reconsider why he ran for office and why he would want to reapply for his servant position if he's not able to fulfill the promises that he takes on.

The contributorship - editorship of this blog was something he agreed to do. It was not mandatory. But it was something that could have been a great tool to help him get re-elected and have an edge over the other nitwits, because no other councilor opens a dialogue in the blogging community directly to the public. Ed could have been the first...and people would have respected him for it.

In spite of the fact that in more than a year Ed never once engaged the readers of this blog in a serious discussion of council matters, or even a report of happenings, he would still hit on me do to a fundraiser for him and wanted to get me on the ball to raise money for him.

I do more with my life than sit on the sides. I have a huge and unbelievably encompassing community project the works that you know nothing about because I'm keeping it mostly under wraps at the moment.

You will learn of it soon.

As far as the jeers and sneers. I do far more than that. Ed got nothing but accolades publicly in spite of the fact that the most important thing he promised to me personally, was bailed on immediately after the promise.

I reached the end of my rope and I'm done throwing money at the LP. I deserve a return on my investment and I did not get it with the LP.

I have to be ACCOUNTABLE at my job every single month to make bigger and bigger goals. I have to PERFORM month in and month out to make the money to give to the LP.

I lose my job if I don't perform. It's the same for Ed. And quite frankly, I'm his employer and so are the readers of HFFT.

My independence does not mean LP candidates will not have my vote in the future. I'm sure many of them will.

And I hope that the party will take seriously its accountability to its contributors in the future.

I have no hard feelings. I just don't want to be in their club anymore.

M Theory said...

And I need to add that some of the people in the LP are among the best people I've ever known in my life. That's the truth.